Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Etowah Indian Mounds

Things around here have changed. Chris having every weekend off means a lot of time that we aren't used to. At first we were like "oh we will have plenty of activities to fill our schedule." Now, we are like "we have got to find things to do before we strangle each other go crazy."

This past weekend we got in the car and just drove northwest. We literally picked a random direction and drove. We ended up in Cartersville, GA at the Etowah Indian Mounds.

They were breathtaking. I had driven past some other Indian mounds here in Georgia before and always thought they were cool but I had never visited them. We walked through the museum and watched a quick demo on Native American tools and games. It was all really cool. Then we headed over to the mounds.

The mounds look like a pyramid minus the top. It is huge when you are standing next to it. It was a climb up those mounds but the view was amazing. You could see forever and there were butterflies playing in the field below every where! I felt like we were in a movie.  After our trip to the top we walked down to the river to relax and watch the geese. I cannot explain the feeling there. I don't know if it was because I was baptized in that river ( a little farther down) or if it was because of history there but I felt so at peace and so close to God. It was amazing.

We finished it up the trip with a walk along the nature trail. I have decided my butt needs to get in shape. Chris didn't even break a sweat... the same cannot be said for me. Haha.

So this was adventure #1. You can find more information about the mounds and the village that was in this area here. We have so much planned in the upcoming weeks so stay tuned!

- Mal

No comments :