Friday, January 9, 2015

Back in the Saddle

This past weekend it poured rain but I still made it to the barn to work on the whole "perfect my seat" part of my 2015 goals. Cindy (my trainer's trainer) was in town to whip us into shape. I knew going into this that I would be in for it. I knew I had taken to much time off, but I signed up for it with a goal in mind.

We were standing around talking about our goals and I said I wanted to perfect my seat and I saw the gleam in my trainer's eye. Uh-oh, this means sore muscles for weeks! She told me to grab Raffany.

Doesn't he look thrilled? And ignore the barn aisle. This is after 15 lessons and kids. 



He was actually really good. We worked on my seat and his lazy trot. Cindy made us do, what felt like 100 transitions from trot to walk to canter to walk to trot to canter to trot. It really made me more aware of my seat and brought me back. I tend to lean forward like a hunter. My large chest doesn't help. It also brought him back on his haunches which is how he is supposed to carry himself and enabled him to trot more forward and light. He became putty in my hands and came round into the contact. When he gets like that it feels like magic.

The next day my abs, shoulders and thighs were on fire. Not as bad as I thought they would be, so I was kind of proud of myself, but sore enough that I took a day off.

Monday, I went back to the barn and worked with Soul.

Look at that handsome face. He is the love of my life and my husband has accepted it.
Monday we worked on more transitions. Soul tells on me a little more than Raffany and will let the trainer know the second I do anything wrong. Soul and I have also worked together as a team for years so he knows my ques and I know his so our errors are more obvious. Cindy really went to work on strengthening my core muscles. Ow. Then during all of our transitions to canter from walk and back she noticed my hands slid forward and my body flew forward when I got unsure that he was going to listen. That just made him miss the cue even more. 

She told me to think of myself as a side rein, holding my hands steady but soft and always in the same place. I give way to much apparently. I think my rearing gray taught me that bad habit. I was also told to post with my abs and not my legs. Hmm... can you say pain?

 We also worked on keeping forward momentum in our transitions. It is harder than it sounds to ask your horse to keep moving forward and go into a slower gait all at the same time. We got it though!

 I have a lot to work on the next few months. Cindy comes back in March and I want to show improvement! Tuesday I went and just practiced with Soul so maybe I can actually stick to it all. All I know is that this is what I need. I need horse time, because it is my sanity. Even my husband said, "you are so much happier and brighter after time at the barn."

 I think this is going to be a 2015 goal worth keeping. 


1 comment :

JG said...

So cool! Can't wait to read more about your adventures!