Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rescue, Rescue, Rescue!!!!!



I often wonder why people think that buying from breeders and pet stores is the only way to get a purebred dog. All you have to do is go online and type in whatever type of dog you want followed by "adopt" or "rescue." That's how I found Riley. Yeah, he isn't the type of dog I wanted. They actually had the dog I wanted, but I saw Riley and fell in love. It's a decision I do not regret. Read that story here. 


My parents are boxer fans. They actually raised them before they decided that adoption is the way to go. Seriously, there are hundreds of dogs in shelters. We do not need to add to the number. Why aren't they good enough? Why can't people browse through the hundreds of dogs there? Because people are lazy. People are into designer things and think they have to have expensive dogs. Well, guess what...my parents adopted a purebred boxer with papers from a rescue. Check out her story at this link. 


So again, why can't you find what you are looking for at a rescue? If it's because you don't have time then you don't have time to own a dog. I know that sounds harsh, but dogs take a lot of time. You have to feed and water and exercise. You have to train them and set the boundaries, this comforts them. You have to make time to take them to the vet. You have to have time to be there for them. So many people don't understand this and they end up surrendering them to shelters. Please do your research.

If the reason is simply because you don't know where to start, message me. Leave me a comment with your email address. I will help you, no matter where you are. Let me know what you are looking for, your lifestyle, what traits you like. I will then look at the rescues online for you. I can point you in the right direction. I do it for people everyday. Free of charge. I just want these dogs to know love from a good, responsible home. 

Here are some local rescues I am loving right now: 
Posey Shelter Pet Promoters Inc Cedartown, Ga (where we got Hallie)
Check them out on petfinder

Click the link to go to the facebook page. This is an awesome program 

Southeastern Bloodhound rescue 
They have dogs all over the southeast. Check them out on petfinder. 


1 comment :

https://scrapbookwife.blogspot.com/ said...

I love your post - being the mother of 13 resuced four-legged children I find it amazing when people tell me they can't find the perfect pet at a shelter.
Connie