Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Superstitions


Am I am superstitious person? Maybe a little. I just asked my husband and he said he didn't think so, but then he mentioned he breaks like a hundred mirrors a week and I kinda panicked. Do you realize how many years of bad luck that is?! And yes, I am religious so I get that luck isn't a real thing but better safe than sorry right?

So here are some superstitions that I have heard all my life:
  • If you blow out all the candles on your birthday cake the first try you will get your wish. Don't tell anyone what that wish is though. 
  • If someone sweeps under or over your feet you will never get married. I panicked if mom came near me with a broom when I was younger.
  •  It's good luck to find a four-leaf clover. I always searched for them before horse shows.
  • Wish on eyelashes. Always.
  • A horseshoe, hung above the doorway, will bring good luck to a home. In Europe they hang them upside down. That drives me insane. You pour out the luck that way! 
  • If a black cat crosses your path draw an ex on your windshield.
  • Bad luck comes if you walk under a ladder. 
  • If you leave a rocking chair rocking when empty, it invites evil spirits to come into your house to sit in the rocking chair.
  • Bad luck will follow the spilling of salt unless a pinch is thrown over the left shoulder into the face of the devil waiting there.
  • Wish on shooting stars. At our farm we could see so many on any given night that we couldn't think of enough wishes. 
  • It's bad luck to open an umbrella inside the house, especially if you put it over your head.
  •  If you get a chill up your back or goosebumps, it means that someone is walking over your grave.
I might abide by a few of these. Maybe... I do not buy it the whole Friday 13th thing though. My husband was born on Friday 13th so it's a good day around here.

What superstitions have you heard of?


Helene in Between Blogtober

No comments :